Twenty of the Magistrate and Circuit Court judges implicated in the judicial corruption scandal exposed by journalist Anas Aremeyaw Anas have been sacked.One other has been reprimanded.
This was disclosed by the Chief Justice Theodora Georgina Wood at a press briefing in Accra today. Seven out of 12 High court judges who were also implicated in the scandal are already serving suspension over same the matter.
Presenting the report of the Judicial Council’s investigations into the scandal that has shaken the foundation of Ghana’s judiciary, Mrs. Georgina Wood noted, however, that the judges who showed remorse following the expose’ will be given severance packages while those who denied their involvement in spite of the evidence against them, will be ignored.
After a two-year painstaking investigations, journalist Anas, who operates incognito, petitioned the Chief Justice Georgina Wood to impeach the implicated judges as well as sack over a 100 Judicial Service staff who were filmed receiving bribes to influence judgments in certain cases before their courts.
Below is the full list of the affected judges:
1. His Honour Benjamin Y. Osei – Circuit Court, Juaben
2. Her Honour Florence Otoo Ninepence – Circuit Court, Tema
3. His Honour Isaac B. Akwantey – Circuit Court , Wa
4. His Honour Alex Obeng Asante – Circuit Court, Tarkwa
5. His Honour Emmanuel K. Sunu – Circuit Court, Bolgatanga
6. His Honour Baptist Kwadwo Filson – Circuit Court, Bibiani
7. His Honour Emmanuel Opare – Circuit Court , Techiman
8. His Worship Samuel Ahiabor – District Court, Adidome
9. His Worship William Baffoe – District Court , Cape Coast
10. His Worship Michael Boamah Gyamfi – District Court, Mampongteng
11. His Worship Jacob Amponsah – District Court, Ejisu
12. His Worship Frank Kingley Oppong – District Court, Kasoa
13. His Worship Samuel Esselwalker – District Court, Bolgatanga
14. His Worship Alfred K. A Mensah – District Court, Somanya
15. His Honour Seyram Tsatsu Azumah – Circuit Court, Akropong
16. His Worship Paul K. Alhassan – District Court, Agona
17. His Worship Albert Zoogah – District Court, Ashiaman
18. His Worship Courage Ofori Afriyie – District Court, Offinso
The two others are yet to be informed about their dismissal by the judicial council through their lawyers. Their names have, therefore, been withheld.