By Isaac Bediako Justice
KUMASI, Ghana – A family of five was burned to death when the room in which they were sleeping was gutted by fire at dawn at Trede, near Santasi, Kumasi, yesterday.
Daniel Baafi, 39, his wife, Akua Ahema, 35, and their three children, including a one and half- year-old baby were burnt beyond recognition in their single room abode.
According to eye witnesses they were awakened by a loud explosion followed by fire, which they believed was caused by electrical wires. They said the roof of the family’s room caught fire and spread through the ceiling before falling on the occupants, trapping and killing them.
Some of the eye witnesses claimed Baafi had earlier complained of frequent power fluctuations which had been causing his bulbs and other appliances to blow up frequently.
At the time of filing this report personnel of the Ghana National Fire Service and the police, were on the scene to collect the charred bodies.
The incident, the second in the Ashanti Region this year, comes barely two months after a family of five died through a similar circumstance at Ejisu.
In that incident, a 57-year-old mother, Akua Afriyie and her four children, including 13-year-old twins were burned to death.