The Ashanti Regional Secretary of the National Democratic Congress (NDC), Mr Raymond Tandoh has debunked allegations that the Regional Youth Organiser of the party, Mr Brogya Genfi has been disqualified as a parliamentary aspirant for the Suame Constituency.
This, he explained, was because the vetting committee led by Kofi Adams that would assess aspirants in the region had not started its work.
The regional vetting of aspirants is slated for September 29, 2015.
Mr Tandoh was reacting to media reports that the regional secretary who is vying to be elected Suame parliamentary candidate of the ruling National Democratic Congress, had been disqualified on the grounds of forged signatures and for his inability to pay the filing fee.
Addressing a press conference early this week, the Suame Constituency Chairman of the NDC, Mr Nurudeen Haruna told the press that Mr Genfi made a last minute move to beat the deadline for filing but could not meet the requirements, including the payment of Ghc10,000 bankers draft and the submission of his curriculum vitae.
Mr Haruna accused Mr Genfi of adding the names and forging the signature of a known but dead NDC member in the area, Mr Cosmos Bayor and promised to initiate criminal investigations into the matter.
But speaking to the Daily Graphic in Kumasi, Mr Tandoh, said the rules set out by the National Executive of the party to govern the parliamentary primary vetting process indicated clearly the composition of the vetting committee and when their work commences.
The members include a national executive team headed by Mr Kofi Adams, the National Organiser of the party; the Regional Chairman, Regional Secretary, Constituency Chairman, Constituency Secretary, and Constituency Women Organiser.
And this is the body that can recommend for the disqualification or otherwise of any aspirant.
Reacting to the allegations, Mr Genfi said he entered the race at the last minute and because of that his financiers paid the nomination fee into the party’s accounts as demanded by the party’s regulation and submitted the draft to the party’s headquarters.
He claimed that the General Secretary of the NDC, Mr Johnson Asiedu Nketiah, had acknowledged receipt of the draft and would communicate same to the regional and constituency offices.
He debunked allegations that he resorted to ghost names in filling his forms and wondered why as a former Suame constituency and the current Regional Youth Organiser he would not have enough people to second his forms.
Mr Genfi expressed shock at the decision of some few self-seeking individual party executives within the constituency to run before themselves and make pronouncements on a process that had not even started.
– See more at: http://www.graphic.com.gh/international/international-news/49961-brogya-not-disqualified-ndc-ashanti-scribe.html#sthash.C3M0AwxK.dpuf